When: December 3rd
Where: Tufas Boulder Lounge
Cost: Pre-Registration: $50 / Day-Of Registration: $65
Tufas Boulder Lounge is proud to bring back Philly’s premiere bouldering competition Tufas Tufurious! Our competition will consist of a citizen’s and an open competition in the afternoon followed by an exciting finals round in the evening.
The citizen’s competition will be one modified redpoint session lasting 3 hours. Competitors will be scored based on zones and tops within their selected category’s 8 boulders! Competitors will select one of the following categories: Beginner (V0-V3), Intermediate (V3-V6), and Advanced (V6-V8). Prizes will be awarded for the top-3 competitors for each category.
Open competitors will also climb in the same 3-hour session with a modified redpoint format. Competitors will be scored based on zones and tops within their 8 boulder problems. Competitors looking to compete in the open category should be climbing V9+. Open finals will consist of the top-6 competitors, where they will battle it out on 3 finals problems in an onsight format. Awards will be given to the top-3 competitors.
All individuals are encouraged to place themselves in whichever gender category they identify with.
We will continually be posting updates on our social media related to the competition as we approach the event!
Tufas Tufurious 2022 Comp + Anniversary Party FAQ
There will be a Beginner (V0-V2), Intermediate (V3-V6-), Advanced (V6-V8), Open (V8+). Male, Female, Non-Binary for all ability levels.
Athletes in each category should expect to climb routes of the following difficulty: V0-V3 for Beginner, V3-V6 for Intermediate, V6-V8 for Advanced, and V8 and up for Open.
Open is the highest level category and the only category in which athletes are eligible for the cash purse and the finals round. Athletes may not compete in an Open and another category.
The modified redpoint format is point based. Refer to the description at the bottom of this FAQ.
There will be prize packages for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places for beginner, intermediate, and advanced.
The qualifying round will be from 3pm – 6pm, and finals will occur from 8-10pm with a party afterwards. Check-in or the comp starts at 2-2:45pm.
Pre-Registration will be $50. Day of registration will cost $65.
Entry for spectators will be free for members, and $15 for non-members. This includes admissions to the competition and after-party.
Yes! The gym will be open to Vendors and spectators starting at 2pm.
Each ticket will include a drink voucher, entry into the After Party, and day pass for climbing after the comp ends.
Each volunteer will receive the following:
– A free Tufas Volunteer T-Shirt
– 3 Free Day Passes or 3 Guest Passes if they’re already a member [no expiration to use them and they stack on top of the one free monthly guest pass]
– Free Food Voucher for Food Trucks
– Admission to After-Party
The After Party will include Open Finals, where anyone at the gym can spectate, listen to a live DJ perform during the climbs, and enjoy free beer from Love City Brewing.
MODIFIED REDPOINT EXPLANATION:
- Each category will have roughly 8 pre-determined climbs assigned to the respective category
- Each climb will have a 4 point start marked with 4 pieces of tape, competitors must establish all 4 limbs (hands and feet) on these 4 holds/volumes before advancing to another hold/volume
- Each climb will have a hold/volume marked ZONE and a hold/volume marked TOP, these are your scoring opportunities. Competitors must control the zone hold with one hand in order to obtain the points and 2 hands on the top hold to obtain the points.
- Scores will be a ratio of zones and tops plus the attempts. AKA the more zones and tops you obtain in the least amount of attempts gives you a higher score. These ratios determine the rankings.
- Control means you can use the hold/volume to stabilize or change your current body position.