Assistant Head Routesetter
Tufas Boulder Lounge provides Philadelphia with a homegrown space dedicated to co-creating community through climbing, fitness, and local partnerships. We strive to expand accessibility to this sport we love, especially to marginalized climbers. Tufas seeks Staff who are passionate about building the climbing culture that we envision to be possible, one based in growth, humility, enthusiasm, athletic empathy, and shared joy.
Tufas Boulder Lounge is a 12,700 sq/ft bouldering-only facility, created by local Philly climbers, and located in the heart of South Kensington.
The Assistant Head Routesetter will report to the Director of Routesetting.
Assistant Head Routesetters will work under the guidance of the Director of Routesetter to help manage Tufas setting operations in line with Tufas routesetting philosophy and standards. Assistant Head Routesetters will work with the Director of Setting to hire,train and evaluate routesetters in accordance with Tufas Best Hiring Practices, Policies and Procedures.. Assistant Head Routesetters will embody Tufas mission of inclusivity in providing high quality and diverse boulders for all ability levels.
Hours and Shift Expectations
Assistant Head Routesetters are expected to work at least 2-3 shifts per week. 8hr day with 1 hour lunch break. Setters are expected to work more hours when preparing for competitions and events.
Operational Responsibilities and Duties
- Understand and practice Tufas Boulder Lounge’s routesetting philosophy.
- Assist in managing eight week gym turnover (every wall excluding the spray wall) with roughly 8-10 boulders per wall.
- Assist in managing the “Spread and Density” of boulder problems throughout the gym. This includes making sure there are enough climbs in every circuit, entry level to most difficult, as well as varying styles.
- Be able to use platforms like Kaya Climbing to log, archive, and keep track of every climb in the gym.
- Understand and be able to set many styles of climbing, i.e technical, powerful, competition.
- Be able to use RIC as a setting tool and a communication tool in order to dial in specific and interesting movements and to assist co-workers when forerunning.
- Stay up to date with current industry trends, standards, innovation, and practices.
- Follow and communicate procedures and best practices to other routesetters / guest setters.
- Use proper PPE
- Abide by all Job Hazard Analysis forms and controls
- Work well with a team of setters and promote a healthy work environment.
- Assist in hiring and training new employees.
- Assist in Evaluating Routesetters according to 6 month and 1 year evaluation forms
- Guide foreunning sessions productively and professionally through respectful and intentional dialogue.
- Lead by example abiding by Tufas Standards for Routesetting
- Monitor Customer suggestion box, and engage with patrons to receive feedback and encourage an inclusive environment at Tufasboulder Lounge. This involves watching climbers and making changes to routes – bump holds, extra feet etc.
- Assistant Head Routesetters are expected to help generate ideas for events and assist in implementing and executing yearly projects.
- Assistant Head routesetters are management level employees and are evaluated with a Performance Development Plan (PDP) rather than the part time employee Evaluation form.
- Coordinate with the Director of Routesetting to make sure video content is available and able to be posted.
- Weekly instagram stories and posts about new climbs
- Education level.
- Any further education past High School (preferred)
- 3 Year Management Experience (1 year Min)
- 5 years climbing experience (preferred)
- 3+ years of commercial route setting experience. (preferred)
- 3+ years of coaching or instruction experience.
- Setting Specific skills
- Able to set and forerun up to V7 or harder. (Climbing those grades is not mandatory)
- V10 is great, appreciated and needed, but most of our climbers climb V7and under
- Comfortable climbing lots of V4 -V5 boulders
- Able to compel movement through intuitive routesetting
- Thorough understanding of RIC Scale
- Personal characteristics.
- Able to give and accept constructive feedback professionally and respectfully
- Set for the benefit of all climbers regardless of their experience or ability.
- Passion for climbing and community
- Willingness to work with a team
- Some level of USAC setting certification is preferred, but not required.
- Some level of AMGA or CWA instructor certification is preferred, but not required.
- Licenses. (NA)
Part-Time Staff: Hourly
Starting Pay commensurate with experience
1 year $20.00
2 year $22.00
3+ year $25.00
* Eligible raise increase based on performance evaluation:
* Prerequisite: Routesetter Position at Tufas or previous Setting Experience
- Access to Tufas facilities
- 20% off Retail
- 2 Guest passes per month
- Tufas Gear at cost
How to Apply: Email your resume to email@example.com